Re: Re: Common magic for Heortlings?

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:50:30 -0500

Roderick and Ellen Robertson writes:

> Mostly Survival (Stay warm, Hide in cover, Heal Flesh), Anti
> magic (Attack Enemy Spirit, Gesture to ward off magic), and
> Movement (Climb over Hill and Dale, Jump Safely).

Thanks, Roderick!

> The lists of common magic abilities are only the *typical*
> ones for that culture - you can always allow a player to have
> wierd-ass stuff from common magic - except that Common Magic
> only ever acts as an augmenter, never a direct-use ability, so
> things like "Fly" are useless (unless you have another Fly
> ability...).

Yup, OK.

> The Heortlings are big into Initiation/Devotion to a specific
> god of their pantheon, rather than the more common "only a few
> wacky Hero-type people initiate, Common Religion is good
> enough for us" attitudes of the rest of the world.

Gotcha -- I've told the players that IMG, Heortling not-adults do are not initiates, only adults may be initiates. Ergo, my characters magic keywords look like this:

           Issaries (Worshipper) 15

My intention is that part of the period of being a "New Adult" is learning what one needs to learn in order to turn that keyword into:

           Issaries (Initiate) 17

Mechanically, that's represented by them having to spend HP to bring the rating up to 17.

I've been toying with the notion that they'll be considered "new adults" until all their keyword-given abilities are up to 17, but I'm not sure about whether the game-play pace will match the game-time pace required for receiving and spending HP. (I suppose I could sit down and do the math .... <sigh> ....)

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+