Re: First session a success! (Now I have some questions)

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:52:52 -0800

Viktor

>My original notion was to try
>and start the same way Greg had started his adventure at
>Gloranthacon: i.e. let's just start playing, and the characters
>will get fleshed out as we go along.
>
>This wasn't successful; post-game thought led me to conclude that
>the players didn't even have enough context to figure out where
>to start, and were unwilling to make any kind of decision at all,
>for fear of "choosing something wrong".

First, it's great to see more games start. (I'm feeling all fired up from GloranthaCon myself, though I've distracted myself by working on two non-traditional campaign settings.)

I think Greg had the luxury of a pool of people who were already heavily steeped in Glorantha (or at least in your case, drenched).

I have used the "as you go" technique when I had a teen-aged player, but I did make sure he had a keyword first (I may have picked "warrior" for him).

When our group first saw the 100 words idea, I think most of us were intimidated (I know I was), but it turns out to be surprisingly easy (and no, the hard part was not "what do you mean ONLY 100 words).

>The basic startup premise I gave them was that they were all
>oldish "not-adults" who were almost ready to pass through the
>adulthood rites

As has been discussed recently, this has significant cons (as well as the obvious "pro" that the heroes have a knowledge of Glorantha which is closer to the players'). But, it makes it real hard to pick a keyword, which is how I usually work up a character.

Ideally, whatever you end up starting with can start with simple contests (to help introduce the system) and work up to an extended contest.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html