Re: Common magic for Heortlings?

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:50:18 -0500

BEThexton writes:
> > I've been toying with the notion that they'll be considered
> > "new adults" until all their keyword-given abilities are up
> > to 17, but I'm not sure about whether the game-play pace
> > will match the game-time pace required for receiving and
> > spending HP. (I suppose I could sit down and do the math
> > .... <sigh> ....)
>
> Or you could wave your hands :)

Well, yes, one could always do that, too!

> Basically, state after a few sessions OK, you've been getting
> instruction, add one to each ability in your key words (and
> maybe to one or two other skills too, depending on where you
> started their background skills at). You can do the same
> thing again just before their initiation.

That's a good suggestion, and I may do that; on the other hand, making them play and pay has a couple advantages:

  And of course, that way, lie plot-hooks. My dark secret is that   I'm remarkably deficient at producing Ideas For Playing, so the   more that can spring out of the players and the situation   itself, the more I can keep that man behind the curtain well   hid...

In summary, I guess I kind of felt that I was sort of playing a bit of a "Buffy, but in Glorantha" kind of deal. The characters start out as young adults, and sure there's all this magic and chaos and stuff flying around, but when you come right down to it, the story's really about them growing up and learning to be adults in a very scary world.

In other words, play and pay is a bit the point, really.

(I know, originally, I said that the initiation would happen at the end of the first session; but I have revised my opinion somewhat. It seems infinitely more sensible that it should happen at the end of "the first season" or maybe the "second season". I.e. when the *players* feel ready to step into Glorantha as "adults" every bit as much as their characters.)

--
Viktor