Re: Clan Sizes

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:37:35 -0400

Jons wrote:

> Small clans, won't be so big in my view, you could consider, how many
> families do live in the clan, for a 10 family clan,m you can count 2 old
> people, 2 adult and 2 children, so 60 men, for a big clan, perhaps you could
> get to 25 families, which give 75 men.

Actually there's an intermediate social level in there -- the stead and the bloodline. A single nuclear family is not survivable in the more primitive conditions of Glornatha (much like the historical real world) -- any sort of disaster or accident or illness will be catastrophic. The smallest unit is the stead (which is usually a single bloodline) occupied by an extended family of about 20-30 individuals of varying ages (call it a dozen adults).

One or more steads make up a bloodline -- which is sort of a proto-clan related to a common ancestor or event.

A clan is made up of a group of bloodlines -- enough of them to be able to defend themselves from any casual hazards such as trolls or the Black Oak clan but small enough so that every bloodline has a voice in the council ring. Not to be represented is grounds for leaving or at least being very unhappy.

Hope this helps,

Jeff