Fragmentation

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:32:36 -0000

Multiple lists fill me with horror and dismay. I don't know, maybe I am too eclectic (I may not be that interested in various issues and regions of Glorantha, but occasionally it's nice to dip into them, and I certainly wouldn't want absolutely to exclude myself from them), maybe too busy (I scarcely have time to keep abread of HQrpg,  hw-rules and GD, much less anything else), but I really don't see this community as so huge that fragmentation is the answer.

As Graham has said, the depth of breadth of the Digest is a product of the writings of those who post. Some of the really in-depth semiological analysis of arcana turns me off, sure, but then again so too does the instant-response fluff that you get on the yahoolists. If the definition of a new list is purely defined in negatives (not HQ-rpg, not GD) then that seems quite a poor basis, while if in practice the online clan (which I think has on the whole been one of the great strengths of the larger Gloranthan tribe) ends up being fragmented and losing its wonderful sense of community and diversity, I also think that will be a loss.

All the best

Mark