Re: Re: Lunar Handbook census ?'s

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:32:32 -0700

S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...> wrote:

> As a very basic rule of thumb, then, I might guess that the ethnic
> breakdown of Lunars in a given region is roughly similar to the ethnic
> breakdown of non-Lunars?
>
> [...] Of course, I'm sure that ethnicity X (whatever it is; I just got my
> copy today, and haven't read it yet) is more likely to Lunarize than
> ethnicity Y, so grains of salt are appropriate....

I think there'd often be big differences in how successful they are in different local ethnicities. For example, the very fact that they successfully convert a lot of Hatfields might mean that the McCoys are that much more suspicious of Lunars, and *less* likely to convert. If there are local ethnic rivalries (and there usually are), it's hard to keep from picking sides.

Further, I'd expect that the towns and cities are more Lunarized than the countryside (that's where the officials live, that's where the temples are, and, hey, public baths are a great advertisement for the Lunar Way). So maybe the Lunars mirror the ethnic mix in the cities, but that might be very different from the mix in the country.

Just my random thoughts...

--AMS