Re: How many clans in a tribe?

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:03:46 GMT

Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...> writes:

>On the other hand, if we assume that there are 180,000 Heortlings
>in Sartar, and 7500 persons per tribe, *and* that each clan has
>around 1200 people, then there are about 6 clans in each tribe.
>
>This may make more sense...
>
>But that still seems to leave the Heortlings on the short end of
>the stick militarily: each tribe can field a militia of only 1500
>men? I have a gut feeling that this is rather low. But again, I'm
>not a military historian.

20% of the entire population under arms doesn't seem low to me.

Consider that about half the population will be children, therefore non-combatant, leaving us with ~4,000 adults. Assume also that only men fight - there will be a few women warriors (Vingans, Gori, and the like) but they'll be balanced out by the non-combatant men. So, we have 2,000 adult men. Fully three quarters of them make up the tribal militia...

20% of 180,000 gives a total armed strength for Sartar of 36,000 men, compared to your original 57,000 total. Either way, that's equivalent in manpower (if not organisation...) to 7 - 12 Roman legions.

If there is a problem with Sartar, it's simply that the population is too small, especially considering that in the wargame WBRM/DP Prince Argrath's army is equal in size and strength to the Red Emperor's!

Stephen