Re: Re: Mailing lists

From: Robert Darvall <madamx_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:35:39 +1000

 > My preferred option would be to compress the two current Y!Groups lists down
> to one. But I fear that such a sensible suggestion is far beneath contempt
> of the list.
>
> Roderick
> ---
> It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this has
> done what he has done.
> - Richelieu

Indeed it is (for the good of the state). Far from beneath contempt a fine idea. The digest prompts thought & analysis & y!groups; e-mail like this one. At 92 messages from the HQ list awaiting me the digest seems eminently reasonable. Still & all I'd like to be up with both rules & 3d but outlook won't filter (is there an arcane secret here?) & netscape won't run & I can't be bothered manualy filtering another two groups. IE the digest format suits me fine.

Despite being esoteric sometimes to the point of obscurity (& beyond) the digest frequently produces gems of Gloranthan lore & even more gems of reasoning & arguement. I've followed threads longa Terra, Peter Metcalfe, et al purely for their argumentation & such beuats as the revival of Latin as a linga franca, however brief, between speakers of Japanese & English with the odd Finn thrown in for good measure. Obscure it MAY (ie possibly) be but IMHO the digest provides intellectual ties that Y!gps can't. (AND for mine, intellectual stimulation that said groups don't.)

Kudos to Graham for keeping it alive!!