RE: Re: Appearance of Red Moon

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:50:00 -0400

Nick said:

>I am upset by the suggestion that she does not turn, always looking in the
>same direction. It *feels* wrong to me.

>Also, the Dark Side of the Moon has *resonance* as a concept (and a hellish
>heroquest destination). This "red place that's sometimes in shadow" doesn't
>cut the mustard, for me.

Hmm, but how do you have a dark side if the moon does rotate? Rotation means that at some time you would see the other side. Our moon keeps the same side to us all the time after all. It wasn't until the Soviets orbited the moon that anyone saw what was on the other side.

It seems to me that the beneficient face of the Goddess is what looks down at the world all the time and the top part which we never see from the ground is what's termed as the dark side.

There are probably lots of explanations as to why the goddess' visage goes from red to black from the orbiting dark body to the Orlanthi belief that the darkness shows her true face and she has to struggle to keep her true visage hidden in lands outside the Glowline. I imagine some White Moonies believe that the changes from Black to Red show Her conflicted nature. Once the conflicts are resolved she can abandon the red and black in favour of her true White. Other theories could be an unimaginably huge war on the Moon between a red and black army with the forces being so huge they actually colour the surface.

Why are these things so regular? Why not?

Oliver (inspired to put on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon)