Re: Digest Number 1250

From: Peter Tracy <bachelornewtling_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:31:16 +1000

"Nick Brooke" <Nick_at_...>
>I am upset by the suggestion that she does not turn, always looking in the
>same direction. It *feels* wrong to me.
>Also, the Dark Side of the Moon has *resonance* as a concept (and a hellish
>heroquest destination). This "red place that's sometimes in shadow" doesn't
>cut the mustard, for me.

Ah, but that whole "Red & Pleasant Land" Story the Crimson Preists tell is only partly true... once the darkness sweeps across the face of the moon, its REAL nature is revealed. Not a nice place to be then!

Its the whole illusion/duality power thing of the goddess, she has the chaos feature "Appears Harmless", but she ain't.

Imagine instead of your heorquestors going to the "Dark side" of the moon... that they are questing on the moon when the wave of darkness sweeps over them... just before they are enveloped, they see everything transforming into an (even more) nightmareish landscape. Those Red Guardsmen you are facing transform into bat-thing chaos deamons, their crimoson horses become ichorus things of flesh and horn, those pools of blood become titanicly proportioned Gorp! If your poor Heroes have already been spending HP like smarties, they will definitely get the jeeb's.

The trick is trying to let our natural conception of the moon interfere with the unnatural reality of it. The truth about the moon and the goddess as far as I can see from what has been discussed is that all truths are true, and all thus false. She is ever changing and unknowable and downright evil. Her intentions were good, but her actions have lead to an inevitably evil end.

Cheers

Pete.
Secret Blue Moon Cultist ^H^H^H.