Back in town : rule questions

From: Frédéric Cloutier <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:50:57 -0400

Hey guys,

After a year and a half of exile in Africa, I am now back to good ol' Montr�al and I started gaming again. Lately, I took interest in a game a bought just before I left and never got to play: Hero Wars.

With a few guys from my gaming group we decided to test the resolution system of HW in different situation (duel, ambush, hot pursuit,...) and we enjoyed the free-styled system. However, some questions came to mind and I would like to profit from your own HW experience. Keep in mind that we played from the free rule synopsis booklet as my books are still in boxes somewhere.

If you can also tell me how these aspect of the game will work in Heroquest, I will appreciate. Here goes for my two main questions...

  1. Augmentations : The first impression we had was that the Edge/Bonus/Resistance ratio was a little bit odd. To get a each +1 bonus to your ability/AP, you must meet a resistance of 5 but for the same resistance, you get an edge of 2. I undersatnd you can use edges only to boost your stake but I tend to believe a +1 edge is as powerful as a +1 bonus. For instance, in a high power game (2 masteries), a hero could easily get a 14 edge (resistance of 35). That is 14 points he doesn't risk to loose when he bets AP but can still inflict if he wins the contest. He could actually bet 0 AP and risk nothing even if he fumbles or if his opponent gets a critical but still stand a chance to inflict 14, 28 or 42 AP if he wins. Yikes!!! Did you experienced something similar or did you find out that bonuses were really twice as useful as edges?
  2. Inflicting wounds : We thought the 1 wound to 7 AP ratio was a little bit odd. A wound (or hurt) only inflict a -1 to abilities after all. Why would someone want to trade AP's for wounds? Should we change the ratio to 1 wound for 2 or 3 AP? Or change the hurt penaltiy from a flat -1 to a -25% penalty? The second option would change the combat consequence chart to something like:

Dazed = 0 penalty
Hurt = -25%
Injured = -50%
Dying= -100%

which I believe makes more sense. Otherwise, in a high power campaign, being hurt doesn't mean a thing (-1 on an ability score of one or more mastery). Did you experience the same problem with the wound to AP ratio?

Otherwise, any idea what are the main aspects Heroquest will change over Hero Wars (rule wise)?

Cheers!

Fred

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://fr.ca.search.msn.com/