Re: Sample Deities in ILH1

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 08:42:57 +0100

>>> *I realize that they are simply samples of deities, and that they
>>> should not be seen as representative of an area's actual religious
>>> life. But still, I was a bit surprised that a few of the important,
>>> dominant deities from GIHW were lacking. Why was Oria, Oslira,
>>> Entekos, Dendara, and Lodril left out? I thought they were important
>>> deities with 100.000+ worshippers in the Empire?
>>

>I think that these cults are not breeding so many adventurers (hero
>characters).

Entekos and Oslira might be rather good, IMO, but they aren't as obviously useful as most of the gods we do have. On the other hand, all the cults you mention will be useful for NPCs, including Heroes' followers. It's entirely reasonable to leave them out of a book of this length, especially when it has to cover such a vast area, but I'm sure they'll be mentioned when the Dara Happan book (ILH3?) comes out.

>>> *Once upon a time, pantheons of deities covered more than one
>>> geographic area. That doesn't seem to be the case any more. Shall I
>>> take it for granted that every small geographic area of central
>>> Genertela has it's own pantheon? Thus we get: the Tarsh pantheon, the
>>> Holay pantheon, the Sylila pantheon, the Dara Happa pantheon, the
>>> Pelanda pantheon, the Birin pantheon, etc...
>>

>In fact we have the Colymar-Pantheon, the Lismelder-Pantheon, the
>Malani-Pantheon etc. Every group has it�s own differences in Pantheons.

Well, perhaps, but the differences between say, Rinliddi and Carmania are going to be more extreme than between the Lismelder and the Colymar. The latter are more a case of picking which demigods to worship and which gods to concentrate on from among a single pantheon - by and large, they don't have, say, completely different healing goddesses, just slightly different subcults of CA and Ernalda. The religious divisions between the big areas of the Empire are rightly more dramatic than those within Sartar.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic