Re: Power of deities

From: pat_the_bratse <patrik.sandberg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:02:18 -0000

Greg on Peter Metcalfe

> >than another in HQ? Seems to me
> >tougher." Anyone got a better
> >>
> >> Maximum intensity of effects? Small Gods 1W3,
> >Big Gods 1W6 and Great Gods 1W9?
>
> That is how I suggest dong it. But remember that:
> Small Gods 1W3-1w5
> Big Gods 1W6-1w8
> Great Gods 1W9-1w12
> These actually offer quite a range among the higher gods

The answers that has been hammered out, actually answers my original question very well. Now it's possible to tell players (who are about to chose deity for their Heroes) the difference between wellknown wargods (or tradegods, etc) and more obscure ones, when it comes to the magic power the Hero get. To sum up:

  1. Shargash has a much more mighty Secret than Cafoldur the Lancer.
  2. Shargash's Combat affinity has a maximum effect of 1W9, whereas Cafoldur's can only reach 1W3.
  3. If you choose Shargash your Hero can choose between four different cool aspects and zillions of subcult, Cafoldur the Lancer can only offer one aspect and maybe a couple of subcults.

(And most importantly of all)

4. Shargash is a deity that dominates Henjarl and Dara Happa. He is feared everywhere. When the drums thunder everyone shudders and his planet moving up there on the firmament is pulsating with the blood he craves. If you want to come from Alkoth Shargash will be in your blood. There is no escape.

Cafoldur is quite a good war deity alright, but you can't expect to get much respect when your Sylilan stallion trotters by outside your immediate home Satrapy.

I.e. it's always better to choose your deity thinking about the religious and cultural experiences, than simple mini-maxing. But players being what players are sometimes, I know they are also bound to ask the more mechanical questions. (Ask me, having had the same players for over 15 years and still see them comparing figures on their character sheets...)

> Real Catch #2:
> Their ultimate strength depends on worship.
> Some beings who had once been humans have progressed to be Big, and
according to some practices, the Lunar Goddess was one such who has become a Great goddess (others say Sedenya existed first).

Only guessing, but could this be the reason why I see Etyries as a Big goddess, and Danvodir the Ibis as simply a Small god?

Cheers,

Patrik Sandberg