Re: Re: Back in town : rule questions

From: Frédéric Cloutier <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:49:43 -0400

Well equipped with your comments, we tried a few more contest last week-end.   We decided not to play with edges at all (would have been quite pointless I might day) and we focused on the type of contest used (extended or crunchy), the wound/AP ratio and the consequence chart.

Here is what we thought worked best:

Contest

Although I quite like the theory behind the Crunchy Contest, I didn't like it in practice. I thought the combat was too static and the loss of AP bidding took out a lot of tactics in the fight. We decided to carry on with the extended contest but decided to use some very good ideas from Simon's document (see consequence chart below).

Ratio

After a few combat at different power level we thought 1:5 was working allright. At a low level of abilities (between 15 and 20), it was quite difficult to injured an opponent but on the high end (between 15W2 and 20W2) it became fairly easy and thus, more lethal. Still without the books, I have two questions about the structure of an exchange.

First, what is an exchange? Is it basically equal to a turn (every players describe their actions, act and defend in order of AP's) or is one turn composed of many exchanges (I describe my action then act. End of exchange one. Player two describe his action and then act. End of players two's exchange... and so on until end of turn)?

The reason I ask is because of the two wounds maximun per exchange rule. In other words, if I am attacked and lose badly (opponents decide to inflict two wounds) then I attack and lose badly again, can the opponent inflict another two wounds?

Consequence Chart

We though the consequence chart should be changed to something like (from the Crunchy Contest document):

Marginal Defeat		-2	Bruised
Minor Defeat		-5	Hurt
Major Defeat		-10	Injured
Complete Defeat	        -20	Dying

The penalty is obviously applied to both ability rating and AP. The final penalty would be determined using the highest of level of defeat and wounds penalty received during the fight. For example, despite receiving 12 wounds penalty (-12) during the combat, player one inflicted a minor defeat to player two (-5). Player two was injured twice during the fight (-2). The final level of penalty for both player would be -12 (injured) for player one and -5 (hurt which is a higher penalty than -2) for player 2. Even though player one won, he paid dearly for the victory.

For the consequence chart, we preferred the fixed penalty instead of the % of abilities because the effect seems to be about the same at any level. For example, being injured means the loss of half a mastery. A high level hero would still be powerful enough to win against a lesser foe but would be in dire straits against an equal. We also tried and adopted the 'Losing and Dying' rule of Simon Hibbs' Crunchy Contest document.

Comments?

Fred