RE: Playing Trickster--other trickster gods?

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:12:35 -0400

Andrew asks:

>I guess I was thinking more about problem A: How can you play a trickster,
>when they're all miserable and psychotic? Answer: Play a different
culture's
>trickster, where they aren't like that.

I guess the question is are they? By that I mean are tricksters thought more of in other cultures?

>You come into Boldhome and they say,
>"Who do you worship, then?" You say, "His name's 'Hermes'." "What's he
>like?" "Oh, he's the messenger of the gods. Watches over travelers and the
>like. Also he guides the spirits of the deads--'soul-leader', that's one of
>our names for him." "Oh, he sounds a lot like Issaries!" You just wouldn't
>mention things like, "Oh, and when he was three days old he stole the
>light-god's cattle. And the storm-god gets Hermes to run interference
>whenever he wants to sleep around without his wife catching him. And..."

Hmm, don't think I'd characterize Hermes as a trickster god. Thief, messenger, herald, gofer, magician, yes. But a trickster?

I don't think I'd characterise Loki as a particularily tame trickster either. He's responsible for the same sort of mischief as Eurmal, even worse since he's responsible for killing Baldur and sides with the god's enemies in the end.

>That lets a player play a trickster-character--one with skills like "fart
>silently" and "balance bucket of milk over doorway"--while still having a
>plausible cover-story, and not being utterly unplayable. You'd still have
>the cultural difficulties of being a foreigner, but Sartarites *don't*
>necessarily kill foreigners on sight--especially if they've got friends,
>like, say, the other PCs.

Why not follow an entertainment deity then? Maybe Dara Happa has a clown god (yeah, sure they do:-))

Whoopsie - Dara Happan god of pratfalls - Jester for Yelm.

Whoopsie was crucial in relieving tension in Yelm's Court. His followers are sacred entertainers in Dara Happa and spread joy and humour wherever they go. (Except Alkoth where they just don't get it). His follower's sacred garb is strangely reminiscent of something an Orlanth(i) would wear down to the bagpipes...

Physical Abilities: acrobatics, sleight of hand, tie knots, abuse bagpipes Mental Abilities: tell jokes, deal with hecklers

Affinities - Get Laughs (Pratfall, Hide Pie, Hey Look At Me)

Oliver