Re: Fw: [YGMV] Post Gencon Report (long)

From: Newt <newtiswrong_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:00:54 -0000

Ah gawd I Narrated that Game! It was really tough at times, as well as the RQ2 fanatic, we also had another of my favourite HW demo beasties the player who "nicks bits of Herowars to use with Runequest". Such players invariably have a smug halo around them as you run the game, and are for ever suggesting mad RQ/HW rules hybrids when ever they fancy being a ruleslawyer. They are entitled to their own opinion, but its annoying when you are trying to teach the game to newcomers and all you hear is the refrain "oh in my game we use a mix of....." To make matters worse the newbies where all dreadfully hung over from the night before...the amount of coffee that was drunk at that game!

We got there in the end though. The RQ2 was well into playing his Lunar Missionary, something he admited he wouldn't have been able to do in RQ2, the RQ/HW hybrider stopped quoting rules mods, and was playing straight by the rules (I think it helped that I pointed out that I was running the game from the draft Hero Quest rules...the RQ/HW hydrid is often as a defense to the fact they didn't like the editing of HW and only use the bits that made sense to them) and the newbies had got enough of a grasp of the rules and setting to really go for it.

I'ld like to echo what Mick said in his report. People were posistivly glowing about the game, and we have had alot people said they would be coming along to Battlemasters, last weekend in August check out the details at www.eurolog.org, on the strengh of what they played at Gen Con. Which seeing as we put 70 odd bodies through our games over the four days, despite Gencon organisers being lame about selling tickets so that half the games did not run, is good news indeed. Expect a very strong Hero Quest line up at Battlemasters. More details to follow........

Regards

;O)Newt