Re: Re: How do the Orlanthi feel about suicide?

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:25:12 -0700

palashee <mickrowe.ygmv_at_...> wrote:
> oliver wrote:
>
>> I guess killing yourself to avoid kinstrife would probably be
>> understood as well, e.g. a daughter is raped by her father and
>> then kills herself instead of trying to kill him or getting
>> him killed. (Sorry about using the "R" word but it was the
>> best example I could think of).
>
> i not sure this would work, couldn't others contact her spirit
> after she topped herself to find out why.

I'd think this would, most likely, result in her ghost haunting the tula. That's a massively bad-juju situation.

> May be if your choice was as stark as 'start worshipping my nice
> lunar god or else' would warrant committing suicide. Its better to be
> dead than red.

But I'd think even there, the preferred tack would be to charge the highest-ranking Lunar and try to kill him with your bare hands. The worst that can happen is they kill you!

(Well, actually, the worst that can happen is they banish you to that Lunar Hell right next to Sheng. But the typical Orlanthi probably doesn't think about that alternative.)

> Perhaps lots of Humakti or other death gods commit suicide to get
> closer to their god quicker. The ultimate sacrifice.

There *are* Heortling cults with human sacrifice (Humakt, Babs Gore...). I suppose one could volunteer to be a sacrifice, but they'd only do that in desperate conditions.