Re: How do the Orlanthi feel about suicide?

From: Roland <rmv1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 12:45:10 -0000

After giving this some thought and rereading some of the older, RQ Gloranthan material (including Sun County), I suspect that suicide is contrary to the natural order of things, and therefore smacks of Chaos. Note that I'm not talking of suicidal attacks, just 'fall-on- your-sword' type of suicide. Your life does not just belong to you, but your clan and your god; by ending it, you are robbing clan and god of your "mana," or "karma," or whatever word they have for it - the accumulated magical value that your existence would bring to the world. That's stealing from kin, and not something the Orlanthi would accept. There's no social sanction for it.

Now, suicidal attacks against superior forces, that's something wholly different. I don't think the Orlanthi would even associate such attacks with the word for suicide; they'd have some other word to describe it (perhaps something like "glorious" or "doomed.") Similarly, I believe there'd be some ritual condoning for people who wandered off to die, so that the act does not actually become "suicide."

Just my 2 clacks.

Roland