re: converting from RQ gamemastering to HQ narrating

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 16:30:14 -0500

Andy

>In RQ, everyone was sitting with the same skills, albeit
>at different levels; everyone had a chance to be the one who heard the
>troll ambush, or spot the buried treasure, or get the critical hit that
>turned the tide in battle. HQ feels a bit more focused (and with good
>reason); it doesn't make sense for the aspiring lawspeaker to suddenly be
>the scout.

I don't think HQ is any more specialized than the RQ-inspired PenDragon Pass we played previously. Typically, with improvised skills, just about anyone can be the scout (you can use Alert, Aware, Keen Vision, Scouting, etc.).

You might encourage people NOT to fill up their entire 100 words (or skill list) at the start. Instead, leave a few words (or slots) blank so they can be filled in once you see which abilities you really want to have.

(This is what I did with a younger player, BTW, and it seemed to work -- I can't remember if he was 13 at the time or younger.)

I'd ideally wait for HQ since the presentation is so much clearer, but the rules really aren't that different, especially if you keep things somewhat low level and stick to divine magic.

Guy

>try to find a copy of the Black Spear of the Colymar. i can't
>remember where this comes from/can be found/who wrote it,

Robin Laws, but I don't think it's available. (I concur, it was a great intro to the game system.)

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html