RE: Malia

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:37:54 -0000

Keith N:
>I don't accept this. Only Disease Masters
>have a religious duty to spread disease.

And in Hero Wars, the role, or even the existance, of some of the old RQ "rune levels" is generally played down.

>Everyone else can just get on with their lives
>with the benefit of 'ahem' private healthcare.

Interesting analogy!

>I also suspect that many involuntary initiates might not even know which
>foul thing they are keeping at bay with occasional secret sacrifice.

I agree. If the normal healing doesn't seem to be working, or is otherwise unavailable, then you might seek out shamans to help clear out the disease spirits... and you might just come across some Malia worshippers, who won't necessarily admit the fact.

Wulf:
> One thing, according to KoDP, you sacrifice stuff to Mallia(sic), so
> presumably that's Misapplied Worship.

<rant>
I think the whole "misapplied worship" thing is over-rated. Aeol proves that Orlanth is just a man with storm powers. Was he wrong, and therefore practicing misapplied worship? Or are all other Orlanthi wrong? If Aeol is "objectively wrong", then what's the point of an identity challenge? What's the penalty for being wrong, in the narrator's pre-determined decision? Is "proving" something through HQ just self-delusion? I hope Greg comes to his senses, and that we hear the words "Gee, Misapplied Worship, what was I thinking about?" <raises back of hand to forehead> pass his lips. Gloranthan entities, I say to you - defy! =>:-O
</rant>

Then again, I may be misinterpreting it, and reacting against a perceived misinterpretation. I'm open to reason.

Phil.
Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.

PS. I know how annoying it is for a person with only one "L" in their name to have a second one foisted on them, so don't anger Malia by making that mistake again!