RE: Towns and clans

From: Andrew J. Weill <aweill_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:22:36 -0700

Herb Nowell posted:

"Hmmm...having recently gotten a copy of RQ2 I went back and read the intro
and realized the first big thing to hit me about Glorantha was the Lightbringers Myth and decided I wanted it to play a more promient role IMG.

"My idea was that more city oriented Orlanthi will begin to change
culturally
and religiously to a Lightbringer pantheon/culture with the Lightbringers becoming paragons of the city professions/classes. Flesh Man would come to present the working class, Eurmal entertainers...not sure about Ginna Jar, but then again she recieves no worship anyway. Eurmal might also speak for foreigners. The various guilds would be logical subcults of the Lightbringers and the Tribal ring would evolve into the City Council."

I see the Lightbringer aspect of these deities as not a city aspect, but rather as the ultimate in desperate questing in the face of potential calamity. I think that there are different aspects of the pantheon that gain prominence in cities. Certainly cities get the Chalana hospitals. I don't think any foreigner would let Eurmali speak for them! I think that's Issaries. And I don't see Flesh Man (which is also not worshiped) as representing the working man.

I think a way to adapt your idea is to have the city virtues be reflected in the choices for the city ring. I'd predict Orlanth Rex, Issaries, Chalana, Llankor Mhy as automatic. The rest of the ring would probably include leading military (Humakt? Elmal?), someone particularly familiar with food supply issues (Barntar's one of many possibilities, but I'm thinking he's less strong in cities; my sense is that this may be an Ernaldan); and perhaps a leading craftsman.

Just my $.02.

Andy Weill