OT List Accessibility (Was Roleplaying a Taraltaran)

From: Henderson, David <David.Henderson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:10:51 +0100

I don't contribute to the lists much, and this one may not make it past the administrators, but here goes ...

Jeff Kyer -
>Um. I am pretty sure that there won't be any rules for mysticism will
>be in HeroQuest. I don't think the present (rather awful) rules are
>that compatible with heroquest either.

Now, that is educational for people playing HW or about to buy HQ. Your 'average gamer' who may have made it this far through the digest, if that is the format of choice.

Jeff again -

>Perhaps this should be a digest topic?

Why? It is in the published rules, or is this list now a large spam exercise for HQ?

Antonio then replies that HQ is not published (although there is much discussion about it in this group named after it, and only 'dedicated fanatics' would have access to it), and HW is what we have, and it deals with mystics. And then says that there are mystics in Glorantha. Okey-dokey with me.

Then Graham Robinson replies -

>In my opinion, "running a HQ game in Glorantha" does not include mystics,
because MOST people >do not play with mystics in their games. (The seriously broken HW rules perhaps being part of
> this...)

Ah. I see. So, in this list for an unpublished game we should not discuss the possibilities within the rules it was originally set up to discuss because 'MOST people' do not play mystics. Apparently. I'd be interested in the survey of 'average gamers' that turned this statistic up ...

>This list is intended for topics likely to be of interest to the average
gamer, rather than the
>dedicated fanatic. For those who really want to discuss running oddities in
their campaign, there is >the glorantha digest (http://www.rpglist.org/mailman/listinfo/glorantha).

And the dedicated fanatics who vet the lists are best placed to judge what is of interest, then? As opposed to those who subscribe and contribute? There were a set of criteria suggested before, involving our-of-print sources, esoterica, etc. I am not sure how part of the HW rules now falls into that set simply because the unpublished-except-to-dedicated-fanatics HQ does not include the rules area in question..

There is a danger of stifling all discussion here - I personally read in preference to contributing (I am probably a sub-average gamer, so I am not sure how much weight my opinion carries), but I am finding that too much of my time has been spent recently reading (or skipping) 'Take it to the Digest' discussions. Like this one.

I better stop or I'll have a digest to myself ... still, I'll be interested to see if this (a) gets to the List and (b) makes a blind bit of difference.

All Mail The Preaching Goon!

David

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc ('the Bank') is regulated by the Financial Services Authority and is a member of The Royal Bank of Scotland Marketing Group. The only packaged products (life policies, unit trusts and other collective investment schemes and stakeholder and other pensions) the Bank advises on and sells are those of the Marketing Group, whose other members are Royal Scottish Assurance plc and Royal Bank of Scotland Unit Trust Management Limited, both regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.

Agency agreements exist between members of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.