Re: Where in Glorantha

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:36:59 -0000

A couple more specific ideas. For these people, the darkness might never have ended. "Once life was good, then the sun was eaten by (cultural bad guy), and it got colder. The ice closed in, but (cultural hero) found the lava vents, and showed us how to live near them. Eventually the ice covered the whole earth except the small area near the lava vents, and eventually it even roofed over us. Because we never lost faith, light returned, to help us live here. Here we preserve the world, in hopes that the cold times will leave eventually." In other words, they could think they are the only people in the world (but see * below). They could even be the remnants of mighty civilization from long ago, or maybe they were never more than hunters.

The ice is always melting near them, and sometimes things will be released this way. In the more dramatic sense there could be creatures that were preserved in the ice and come back to life when thawed. But also more immediately useful things, like seeds or even tools. The devout think that (cultural hero #2) still looks after his/her people, fighting eternally the ice and finding treasures that he/she delivers through the ice, even if he/she can't break through in person.

There may be people whose profession is scavenging the melting edges, securing whatever is released before it gets washed away by melt water. These could be the equivalent of stick pickers, hoping to glean something of value, they could be professional and respected folk, or they could mostly be part of the religious structure, with everything being found first coming to the "priests" (or whatever their religious powers are called)

Running water carves tunnels in the bottom of glaciers. Depending on the season, some of these may occasionally dry up. The very daring may travel deep into the ice through these routes, seeing what they can find. There could even be different domes that are only joined in this fashion, so they can communicate (or raid) only when the tunnels dry up, and travel between them is always fraught with the danger of sudden floods. There could even be stories of one or two domes with which all contact has long been lost, but everyone wonders if they are still there and will we find a tunnel to them some day.

Finally, even if there are some stunted trees (and there doesn't need to be any at all), your idea of no fire is cool. To reinforce that, perhaps sometimes some patches of air are flammable (in pseudoscientific  terms call it clouds of sulphur dust, in magical terms call it some sort of spirit), so even if they can make fire, it is very dangerous because you never know when the very air around it will ignite (this probably happens over the lava beds sometimes too).

I love the idea of this setting, I hope some of my ideas help to inspire you further!

--Bryan