Re: Where in Glorantha

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 08:57:09 -0000

> Lava flows can potentially offer a novel form of transport. Flows
> which haven't roofed over completely, and therefore possess a semi
> fluid surface overall, can be used by the brave as a method of
> transport. Elements of crust near the centre of the flow encounter
> little enough shear that they can form readily upon cooling into
> cohesive, relatively large rafts. Then it's just a matter of
hopping
> on, and off you go. I'm serious, I seem to remember hearing that
two
> [Russian?] fellas did it once!

Perhaps a desperate outlaw from the ice dome escaped lynching by riding a lava flow all the way under the ice tunnels to the edge of the glacier. He was captured by a Kalikos expedition and brought back to the Empire, but now an expedition is being sent to investigate his story, and he's being taken along (willingly or not) as a guide.

In the true H Rider Haggard tradition he could be the chief's son who fell in love with the High priest's daughter, but she is promised as a sacrifice to the Volcano God because the lava flows are cooling and the ice is growing thicker. This means some of the under-ice river beds have dried up and so it may be possible to get to the ice dome from the outer world.

Alternatively, one of the PCs may be descended from a refugee from the ice dome. He finds maps and notes written by his father and decides to try to discover the truth of his heritage.

Great setting!

Simon Hibbs