RE: Re: Where in Glorantha

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:31:50 -0400

Joerg suggests:

> These people have liquid rock at their perusal for creating items.
> Just carve a somewhat oversized mold of what you want out of ice,
and
> bring it into contact with the stuff. This might even work to
create
> rock canoes (perhaps better catamarans).

I have a cool mental image of the casting process. Through incredible effort moulds have carved into the floor of a cavern. Long troughs lead to the lava pools for pouring. When they need to make something new they fill the moulds and troughs with ice and let the lava pour into the moulds. The idea is that the ice cools the lava down enough so that it doesn't just fill the moulds but hardens just far enough away the edges so that a usable shape is made. Once it's cool enough they pry it our, shape the outside and inside and finish the product.

Then the apprentices get to dig out the troughs, fun, fun, fun.

Oliver