Re: Rest Day

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 00:37:05 GMT

In message <bah0ra+s1a3_at_...> "Josh Reynolds" writes:

>In TR (p. 184) it says that Rest Day occurs after the harvest is
>finished (which starts on Goose Day/Reaping Day). Possibly more
>important (at least for PCs), the Clan Moot is held the day after
>that (p. 111). My question is, how long does the harvest typically
>take? A week?

Looking at the calendars on p. 110 & 112 it would appear to be potentially up to three weeks. Remember harvest is not so much working time as elapsed time - on which days is the weather suitable - dry sunny days are best. There is also the question of when the crop is ready. So the answer is - as GM when do you want the Moot? Of course if your PCs are part of the clan the most important thing is getting the harvest in - they will be expected to drop everything and do their share.

Curiously the calendar shows Tribal Market Day just two days after Reaping Day. It seems strange that a market is held right in the middle of harvest and before clans know what surpluses/shortages they have. I realise they are Wild Day of Movement Week each season but a market would make much more sense after the end of harvest but before butchering of herds begins.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/