Re: Taraltaran Mystics: GD vs HQ

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

Simon wrote:
"My personal feeling is that the original question
is eminently suitable for this group"

        Absolutely. And I'm sure that all poor Morgan expected was to spark a bunch of varying suggestions for putting a mystic into play, as per the rules.

"What is off-topic for this group are esoteric
discussions about the nature of Mysticism and how it might be treated in the rules, post-HeroQuest. Unfortunately of course there is a crossover between these two topics."

        I did notice that entities pertaining to OoP Gloranthan sources began to be cited as soon as the thread was moved. Very reasonable on the Digest, where a discussion of relevant Gloranthan cultures/magic systems was bound to ensue. This, I will agree, keeps it out of the stated boundaries of HQ.

        The remaining dichotomy is that it seems HQ-only players are perforce expected to follow some of the most interesting threads over to the Digest, as soon as these attract the attention of the older players who can quote the Gloranthan arcana. This is a little rough on them, since with the best will in the world, a lot of this stuff is not going to come their way. Heck, having passed them up (or never knowing that they existed) I don't get many of the references myself.

"... old Mysticism rules don't work, and if you do
want to play a Taraltaran you're probably best off rewriting the character as a theist."

        Hmm. OK. So let the PC spout off/act as mysteriously as he or she wished, but run the mechanics as an old-fashioned theist (with, presumably, no god in the background)?

        I suspect that the real problem (in this particular case) is that the language to properly describe an indescribable condition is just lacking, and therefore rules for same are impossible. Not that this has stopped many from trying!

The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. http://search.yahoo.com