Re: "Typical" game?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:33:22 +0100

On Fri, 23 May 2003 11:55:19 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

> --- Graham Robinson <graham_at_...> wrote:
>
>> This list is *not* designed for discussion of issues
>> relevant to *your*
>> particular game, but to some theoretical *typical*
>> game.
>
>Just curious: what is seen as a "typical" game? And
>how many people actually play in such a thing?

I tried to run one. It stunk.

>The specific games I've seen discussed here have been
>a very long way from running through the published HW
>scenarios in order, but presumably someone out there
>is doing that? Or is it like the famous family with
>2.4 children?

Personally I find specific game examples interesting and informative, not to mention giving me plenty of things to rip off for my atypical game. I would hate to think that the list was only allowing discussions of vanilla 'typical' games and eliminating all the crunchy bits. Jorganos' recent 'City under the Ice' concept - brilliant but hardly 'typical'.

It's very easy (at least on my newsreader) to kill a dull thread. It's much harder to imagine being inspired by theoretical discussions about 'typical' games.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac