Re: Harvest info

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:16:45 -0400

BEThexton writes:
> For what it is worth, modern sweet corn grows fine in a three
> year rotation around a veggie garden fertilized with no more
> than good helpings of compost, provided that you plant
> nitrogen fixers like peas or beans in the second year.

Maize and sweet corn are not the same thing. Most modern feed corn hybrids are so rarified that they would be almost useless as a "natural crop", at least that's my understanding; apart from anything else, most modern feed corn hybrids are mules...

As for sweet corn, I'm not sure how many of the varietals are mules, but I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was large...

--
Viktor