Harvest Info - new direction

From: Josh Reynolds <haji98109_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:17:08 -0000

Thanks for all the harvest info - that's about the level of detail I was looking for. I'm don't want an agriculture simulator - just something to hang plot hooks off of. We've probably exhausted that, so I'd like to spin it off in a new direction. If all you farmer folk would share your wisdom again, I'd be honored.

Herds. I must admit, I know less about herding than farming. Mostly what I've picked up from RPGs over the years. I'll list some of the things I (think I) know - maybe someone can correct my errors and fill in the blanks.

Although the Orlanthi talk about cattle and use that as their currency, they probably keep more sheep (and pigs?) than cattle.

My understanding is that pigs are easy - you let them run free around the stead or in the woods nearby and they forage for themselves.

Sheep and cattle need to be moved from pasture to pasture by herders. There are seasonal high and low pastures.

Herds are culled at the end of Earth-season. They need to be kept indoors (in a barn or a stead byre) during Dark-season.

What seasons are associated with the high/low pasture transhumance?

Do Orlanthi use oxen or horses for plowing? IIRC, the horse collar was a significant invention IRW - which is not to say the Orlanthi can't have them.

During the good seasons, do the herds stay out in the pastures all day and night? Presumably herd-boys stay with them, maybe with alynx assistance?

Would there be a small stead (or even just a hut) at the high pasture for the herders?

Thanks,

Josh