Re: Misapplied Worship

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:43:45 EST

Thom Baguley:

<< 2) Misapplied worship as a division between Godplane, Spiritplane and Sorceryplan entities is more problematic. However, I can live with it provided there are sufficient loopholes (in particular Underworld deities). I already subscribe to the notion that the Heroplane intersects the fringes of all three other planes. >>

      Personally, I'd only apply Misapplied worship where the person is attempting (knowingly or not) to create a totally new worship style for a deity/spirit/whatever. So if you try to worship Yelm animistically, since no such tradition exists, whack, you get your MW penalty. Equally, if you try to worship him in a Heortling theist style, then that's still 'wrong' so that the same penalty applies. But if you try to worship, say, Orlanth, in an animist style, then such a tradition already exists (among the Praxians, and/or Pentans IMO) so no penalty. Whether he's 'really' a god or a spirit is nothing to do with it - if the tradition is already established, I wouldn't apply a MW penalty for it.

     This is not at all, so far as I understand it, the official view on when MW penalties do or do not apply, but it's what I'd use IMG.

Trotsky