Re: Flower Day question...

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:52:50 -0700

Mike

>I cannot recall a single mention of one VERY important
>pre-industrial crop as a
>regular part of any culture: Flax.
>
>does anyone know who or where it's grown? In Glorantha that is.

>Further, there's the ever-Real-World-popular marijuana/hemp. (Yes I
>know there's a
>difference, but not by much.)

In my Glorantha, both are fiber crops of Umathela, though I doubt they're confined to that land -- I think I'd agree with John that they're nearly universal.

I know cotton was grown in Mexico (the Aztecs made it into armor).

In general, I don't see fiber crops as having as much relevance to gaming, however. If you can't harvest the flax crop, you have to wear rags, or can't paint portraits (linseed oil based paints). If you can't harvest the barley, your kids starve.

--

David Dunham   dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html