Some Sunday morning musings

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:18:40 -0700

Nothing especially earthshattering, just a couple sources of ideas for gaming...

The Gangs of New York, Herbert Asbury, 1928. (The book that the movie was *very* loosely based on). The descriptions of the gangs (especially the earlier ones) reads like a group of hero bands, with their named heros with their individual schticks (Gallus Mag's habit of biting off ears; the legendary Mose's size and incredible strength; The Plug Uglies' cotton-stuffed hats; etc). While the size and numbers of the gangs make them a *wee* bit out of place in Pavis, it seems to me that some of the cities in the Empire (Not Glamour, of course, nothing like an underworld *there* ;-) ) might be perfect for a Gangs campaign. With the addition of Dart Wars, you even have the political reason why gangs are allowed to exist by the authorities - they make good breeding grounds for the rough & tumble fighters that take part in the DWs.

I was watching the Brotherhood of the Wolves and came to the realization that the primitive hunters shown would make good Yinkini - as seen by a Lunar coming to the area. Dressed in furs, lewd and lascivious, armed with artificial fighting claws, a fighting style based on movement rather than getting stuck in; seems perfect to me. Manny, the indian sidekick, makes a good character as the "civilized" Balazaring.

RR
- Richelieu