Re: Orlanthi irrigation?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:50:37 GMT

In message <20030602173206.72723.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Jane=20Williams?= writes:
> --- Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...> wrote:

>> I don't see why anyone in Sartar would use irrigation,
>
>Nor me: perhaps in the Storm Age, Orlanth's people
>were not living in Sartar? Somewhere with a much
>hotter climate, if irrigation was a Good Thing. (Hmm:
>mythic link with Aroka? Ending of Drought?)
>
>So now you have all these Orlanthi carrying out
>ceremonies to end drought, because they always have,
>in an area where more rain is the last thing they need
>:)
>
>Unless irrogation channels can also be used for
>drainage?

According to TR there is little rain in either Fire or Earth seasons so drought is a distinct possibility. Not a severe one, but bad enough to damage crop yields. I don't see anything particularly elaborate in the irrigation - just a few ditches into which a nearby stream can be diverted at need.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/