Re: Re: Wizardry ?

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:19:39 -0400

Hi!

> --- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, "karamo"
> <karamo_at_f...> wrote:
>
> >In the table of content of Heroquest on Glorantha.com, I
> >noticed
> >that Wizardry is used instead of Sorcery ?
> >Is there any specific reason behind that ?
>
> I don't know their exact reasoning for using one in the title over
> the other, but if I understand the wording properly, 'wizards' are
> now clearly part of the church, and so have access to certain thing
> and not others, while 'sorcerors' are those who study the magical
> arts outside of the church, so can potentially have access to
> anything, but may not have access to much at all.

Actually, the term 'sorcerer' is not being used anymore (at least, in the core rules). There are three groups that come under the 'wizardry' heading: Churches, orders, and Schools.

As far as magic is concerned, churches have scriptures from which blessings and curses can be bestowed. Saintly orders are basically a "sub-group" in a church that follows a particular saint (although some orders can be found in multiple churches). Orders generally have their own scriptures, blessings, and curses. Wizardry schools teach grimoires which contain spells. Some schools are attached to a church but this is not always the case. Churches are run by liturgists and clergymen while wizardry schools are run by, well, wizards.

> I think that wizards are much the more common of the two.

Definitely! ;-)

Camo