Re: Tarshite Rus

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:49:19 -0000

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> Personally I use the Saxon's for the Tarshites

I think that the thing to remember is that the Orlanthi can take their inspiration from the diversity of tribes north of Rome and their later descendants, both Celt and German. Differences among clans and tribes are significant too, a quick reading of Germania will show you how different the German tribes were at that time (and some scholars still debate whether some tribes were Celtic or Germanic).

When I wrote IWS I looked at the Franks as another model for the Tarshites as Germanic barbarians that became urbanized. In a thread over on rpg.net Nick Brooke commented that it is always good in Glorantha to have at least two analogs. I agree and looking at both the Franks and Rus might go down well for the Tarshites.

Similarly I have seen the Magyars mentioned before as a good source for the Pol Joni, but I would also want to throw in Celtic elements (I see Elmal as Celtic to Orlanth's Germanic, YGMV) so I might pick up on the Iceni for the Dundealos associations (and of course the Dundealos rebellion can then draw on Boudicca).

But its all just inspiration...