A Good End in Badside - Part XLVII

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:59:24 -0400

(Sorry about the horrible gap between sections).

"So, why are you telling me all this?" She smiled and said, "Ultimately we work for the same boss whether the local authorities see it that way or not." She paused, "I just wanted to let you know what the "official" stance is on the matter." Again she paused, "Oh and a warning which you probably don't need to watch out for those ogres. They are definitely bad news." I grimaced in reply, "No need to worry about me in that respect. I always take demonic monstrosities to heart."

She sighed and then stood up and started collecting her clothes. "I have to go now. I will be in touch if it proves necessary." I was crushed by this casual dismissal but I understand duty. I still had to try though. "Is that it?" I asked. "She turned to me, dressed in a nondescript sack like dress and smiled at me. Laying her hand along my cheek she said, "Oh you men are all the same. You take things far too seriously." She shook her head. "It was fun but it was business. Let me know if you find anything interesting out about the hazia. I can be contacted through the evening chamber maid at the Silk-n-Plume. Tell her that you lost a magic crystal. If she asks what colour say that it was red and black. Then give her your message." She turned to go swathing herself in a voluminous hooded cloak.

I sighed, "Good luck and Goddess bless then." I could see a glint of amusement in her eyes in the hood and she kissed me, copped a feel and left. I closed the door and decided to go to sleep. Exhausted by all my exertitions I slept the sleep of those truly blessed by the Goddess, among whose ranks I sincerely doubt I am numbered. But is it not written that She Loves Us All?

The next morning I awoke late feeling quite refreshed. I dressed carefully in my cleanest clothes and made my way down to breakfast whistling, only to discover that they were serving lunch. I shrugged and sat down to a nice lunch of braised bison, vegetables in season and half a bottle of imported red. After I had eaten I sat there nursing the rest of my bottle of wine trying to decide what to do next. It seemed obvious to me at least that ogres didn't have anything to do with Cressidus or Balarus' deaths. Too clean, too simple, too...wasteful. It must be hard to find real mockpork here in Pavis, not that fake stuff that the Praxians eat. But if ogres hadn't offed them who the hell did? In Cressidus' case the question was not who had a motive for killing him but who didn't. In Balarus' case though who would have wanted such a complete git knocked off though?

Maybe it was time to arrange a trip to Sartar.

To be continued.

Oliver
http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/stories/goodend.html