Re: Tibetan for Auld Wyrmish

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:06:51 -0700

Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...> wrote:
> Check out the beautiful script. I'm quite happy to use it as the human
> invention of Auld Wyrmish written down:

My private suspicion is that Auld Wyrmish's written form should be somewhat more alien. That is, pretty much every earthly written language either uses symbols to represent spoken sounds, or uses symbols to represent words--but in either case, the written form is a way of recording things you could say. Somehow I suspect that AW is a bit weirder. Perhaps the symbols don't map neatly to Auld Wyrmish words. Or if the written form *does* mirror speech, you might need to have several intertwining sequences, representing sounds, smells, visual effects, and psychic impressions?

...'mind me again... was Auld Wyrmish the eveyday speech in the Youf, or was it only a learned/mystical/religious language?