Re: Tibetan for Auld Wyrmish

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:48:51 -0700

Andrew

> My private suspicion is that Auld Wyrmish's written form should be somewhat
> more alien. That is, pretty much every earthly written language either uses
> symbols to represent spoken sounds, or uses symbols to represent words--but
> in either case, the written form is a way of recording things you could say.
> Somehow I suspect that AW is a bit weirder. Perhaps the symbols don't map
> neatly to Auld Wyrmish words. Or if the written form *does* mirror speech,
> you might need to have several intertwining sequences, representing sounds,
> smells, visual effects, and psychic impressions?

Perhaps written Auld Wyrmish is on the order of Phoenician or Hebrew, which only write consonants. So you can't decipher an Auld Wyrmish inscription unless you actually know the language and can fill in the unwritten pieces.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>