Re: Re: Meldek in our midst

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:11:48 +1300

At 05:32 15/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
> > At 22:43 14/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>
> > Given that D&D-style MUs aren't military geniuses either, how does
> > he explain this in terms of character conception? I'm curious as
> > we might be able to find a plausible gloranthan explanation for it.

>Given the all time low that military arts are at in Heortling society,
>anyone with a grasp of logistics and the abilitty to blow people into
>flinders could be declared a military genius.

Your sneers overlook the real genius of Heortling military strategy. Any fool can defeat the enemy on the battlefield but the Heortlings seek to eliminate their opponents capacity to rule. So they set themselves up to be conquered and absorbed into an empire and then assassinate the Emperor. This way they get the aqueducts...

> > There are atheistic sorcerers in Glorantha and there was the

>But these fellows are not common in Sartar and certainly hard to make
>acceptable to Joe Heortlander without some sort of tweaking.

I realize that. But the above is not quite the same as saying that there are no such fellows in glorantha full stop which was originally said.

--Peter Metcalfe