A Good End in Badside - Part XLIX

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:54:10 -0400

What to wear, what to wear? What are they wearing to ambushes this season in Glamour? What I'd like to wear was a detachment of Lunar hoplites with accompanying magical support troops but I guess that'd be too tacky. Something tasteful and simple I suppose. Like my normal garb, perhaps with the addition of another present from my Mostali buddy, to wit a chainmail vest made of some metal I don't recognize that he asked me not to wear in public. Well at least not openly. Under my tunic would definitely be okay.

I calculated how long it was going to take Daphne to reach Count Belvani. I frowned as I considered what was she going to do if he wasn't available. What WAS I going to do without reliable backup? Why was I so sure Belvani WAS reliable backup? As far as I knew he was in in this mess up to his armpits with both arms red as sin. Sigh. Kind of late to worry about that right now, though. I saw that Daphne had finished eating and was looking at the bowl mournfully. I signalled for Miltry to give her a refill on the stew and bread and told her that I was going upstairs for a moment and to wait for me. Her eyes lit up when he brought the second bowl and I was pretty sure she would stick around.

I made my way upstairs and checked the bespelled and trapped lockbox I keep under my cot. It still looked untouched so I deactivated the traps and opened the box. It was spelled to allow me to open it so I didn't have to do anything with them. Among other items of personal interest was the chainmail vest. As I'd said I don't know what sort of metal it is made of and for some reason I got the impression Morty didn't know what the metal was either when he gave it to me. And if that didn't boggle the mind I don't know what would. To think, a metal unknown to Mostali. I shook my head again. Of course the thought that he'd given it to me, a lousy human was pretty mindboggling too. Mostali aren't known for their generousity. But then again maybe I just thought he didn't know what the metal was. Maybe it was actually some useless byproduct of their forges OR something cursed. Well I'd had it for a while now and my luck didn't seem any worse than normal.

The metal the vest was made of was greenish of all colours and weighed a hell of a lot less than bronze or iron. I'd seen sea metal before and it didn't really look like that but what do I know? I took off my tunic, wriggled into the vest and then put my tunic back on over it. I checked the goodies concealed in my false leg as well and made sure everything was working fine. Then I went back downstairs.

I was somewhat relieved to find Daphne still there and quite amused to find she was on her third helping of stew and bread. No wine though, Miltry had to draw the line somewhere. I gave her the note for Belvani and told her where she'd find him. I waited for her to protest that she couldn't deliver a note to Suntown but she didn't peep. She did hold her hand out and I had to admire her guts. I feed her out of my pocket and she still expects cash for delivering a note. I dug a couple of lunars out of my pocket and gave them to her. She made them disappear, nodded and then buggered off. Miltry came over as I watched her go. "Do you think she'll actually deliver your message? These street ragamuffins are all alike, completely unreliable." I smiled at him and turned to leave, "Well, if she isn't you'll probably have a room to let mighty soon."

Oliver
http://www.geocities.con/bernuetz/stories/goodend.html