Re: The 'Clan Questionnaire'

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:55:33 -0400

BEThexton writes:

> Doing it in a more random sort of way (say, emailing each
> player 10 questions to answer, then compiling the overall
> results and presenting it at the start of the next session)
> might not make them feel they were robbed in the same way.
> But if you want to make it part of play, making it more
> controllable seems good. Working present back-wards makes the
> results seem more controllable I think.

I don't think this method would work for our group; we found that the approach to many of the questions affected one another (i.e. "we're this sort of clan, right, so we'd make this choice here."). There was a fair amount of discussion over some of the questions, and the value (if any) out of this exercise came from this discussion and not necessarily from the questions themselves.

> Also, and perhaps just as useful, working from the present
> backwards, you could answer just part of it at the start of
> each session. That way you don't have to take as much time to
> answer it, and each set of questions and answers has a better
> chance of being retained by the players (although it may take
> a while to get certain fundamentals decided that way).
>
> Obviously it isn't apt to get changed now that it is printed
> in a book, but it could be useful advice for those using it in
> the future.

I think the existing questionnaire suits those familiar with Glorantha starting a new campaign with a new clan much better than newbie players. It might be useful to have another version of the questionnaire on the website more appropriate for the "I don't know anything of Gloranthan history" group. Or not.

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+