Re: just some general coments to all who might find it interesting

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:09:57 GMT

In message <bfdtaj+nfc4_at_...> "neoallianz" writes:

>also the colse combat is just cool. you fight and at sometime you get
>beaten, but you have the choise of coming back like a hero in the
>movies, with a broken leg, a dozen wounds and just one arm (using the
>last action rule and spent a heropoint). But what if you have no hero
>point and get beaten by only one or two points? is a hero out of
>fight, because he is dizzy and does hav no wounds? i think that is a
>bit strange, but maybe i just got it a bit wrong.

How to handle this is up to the narrator and the guidance in Herowars isn't really good enough. Heroquest should be a lot better. I would probably narrate this situation as a case of the hero being knocked down and stunned so the fight goes on without him. If it went on for quite a while I might well let him recover a few action points and rejoin the fight but remember most combats reflect action for only a few minutes.

>now my question problem. ranged standart and magical combat (do you
>remember the problem? *g*). My problems is tat you when you use
>ranged combat have a limited ammo that that you when you hit do
>damage. the combat is much more simple then sword fighting. sword
>fighting is a dance and the two opponents try to see who makes the
>first wrong move. ranged combat is different, you aim and then shoot.
>ok you could say a ranged fighter can set all his ap and make a
>deadly shoot. his ranged combat skill should be much better then the
>dogde missile skill, which is normally at 6. but what happens if he
>fails? in herowars are bows and crossbows and stuff like that less
>dangerously then in reality i think. the same is with magic ranged
>attacks.

I think you are overestimating the effectiveness of missile weapons, prior to the invention of the repeating rifle it was generally possible to charge though missile fire. Agincourt and similar battles involved clever generals who used good troops to their best advantage. Also a hit is rarely lethal, more soldiers died from infected wounds than the actual weapon.

>just think about this situation: three men, two fighting and one with
>a bow 50 meter away. so how will you manage the fight?

I would impose a big penalty (a mastery at least) on the archer. If he fumbles the arrow hits the wrong person. Whoever is hit loses action points and suffers the multiple attacker penalty. It probably won't kill the person hit but put them at a serious disadvantage in the combat.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/