Re: Scenario conversion (was: Re: Orlanth Initiation )

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:50:02 -0500

Tim Ellis wrote:

> > I've been thinking about a HW Growing Pains conversion. Not
> > thinking very hard, but FWIW this is my first stab at stats:
>
> I've been thinking about it , on and off (mostly off unfortunately)
> for some time. I'll have another look and come back to you later...
> >

> > Comments and suggestions welcome.
> >

> What level do you see the characters starting out at in the
> initiation? I'd guess they should be less than 13/17/1w/5w at this
> stage?

Depends on how you view it. Remember, upon Initiation the new-adults will be ready to step into society. They WILL have the skills needed to do their jobs in Orlanthi society.

One of the great misconceptions of our modern society is the coddling of children. If you grew up on a farm, you worked when you were young. Even at a very early age, children are out herding the geese and helping in the garden.

By the time you're 15, you're ready to be a farmer or steadwife (albeit not a good one) so starting everything at a very low level is probably a mistake. Even for a 'new initiate' group, I would probably just reduce the keywords slightly 13/15/17/1w but again.

I must admit that I find the concept of narrators not "allowing" players to be devotees somewhat... strange. Magic is a lot of the fun of the game and exploring your religion is one of the great advantages and joys of HW.

Jeff