Re: Re: Parts of Gbaji

From: Chris Bell <coridan_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:44:14 -0400

> I play in a Lunar campaign and we come across "part of Gabji" that we
> have to deal with (as evil). Now I find I'm not sure I understand
> how we, as Lunar's are likely to see them.

One can take the Gerran view that part of Nysalor's preparation for the coming of Rufelza was being ritually chopped to peices by Arkat - accepting his Shadow by allowing himself to be defeated and decimated by it. Thus, Nysalor the Good God had prepared the way for Sedenya/Rufleza/et al to tread. Loosing parts of one self in sacrifice in order to attain wisdom seems to be a common Gloranthan theme. Orlanth and the Lightbringers also accomplished this in their quest.

> The posts I've seen say that these are not parts of Nysalor, so that
> Gabji wasn't Nysalor who had been corrupted by Arkat(?). So the view
> is that Arkat, in his drive to destroy Nysalor, became first a Troll
> and then became a monster called Gabji? Is this the Gabji that the
> Red Moon Goddess defeated in her goddess quest?

IMO, the prevailing Lunar view would be that to reconstruct Nysalor would be to insult the god's sacrifice and work to undo the ultimate illuminated mystery he achieved. So, the Lunar Empire may look askance at anyone trying to resurrect Nysalor. Besides, the Empire worships Nysalor in his/her more complete form - the Red Goddess! She blesses us with her wisdom!

Finally, as much as how modern Solar Dara Happans bitch and grouse about their Lunar co-religionists, the Lunar faith is much more pro-imperial/Dara Happan than earlier Nysalor sects. Despite Illuminants having brought good times to the Empire before, many Dara Happan Emperors had severe trouble with Illuminant sects (was it in GRAY that one Dara Happan Emperor says, 'kill all the damned Illuminants?') The Lunar Faith seems to be much more politicable palatable than the radical Nysaloran mysticism.

"A leader gets power from followers.
"Violence is always an option."
"A good man does all things well"
"Mistakes are made, and fixed."

Proverbs of Orlanth, King of the Storm Gods Chris Bell
coridan_at_...
argrath_at_...