An awful canard, and durulz winter sports

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:02:42 -0700 (PDT)

 John Hughes made some slighting remark concerning Canadian attachment to a certain winter sport. (OK, it was supposed to be a winter sport. Holding the finals for the Stanley Cup in May/June is just ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. (Yep, they exist.)) Just for the record, it's hockey. All other varieties (air, road, etc.) get a qualifier before the noun, but not the one, true and original hockey. :-)

 Of course, we're guilty of calling football 'soccer', while the local NA (north of the Mexican border) versions should only be called American or Canadian football. And then there's John's type, Australian rules football, which I gather is a sight to behold.

 This brings up the point that durulz winter sports have been unfairly neglected. They may well play a version of hockey.

 But I believe that they play the game of a million Canadians, Curling! The sweepers would, of course, use the great old corn broom (actually made with sorghum, for those who think that's a Lunar plot), for it's wonderful evocation of the wingbeats of a great flock taking off. Include real feathers for luck, if you wish.

 There's probably a dwarven connection for getting the right stone for the rocks these days, but in simpler days, tossing anchor rocks (with convenient handles attached) was probably good enough. There's bound to be lots of nicely rounded stones in the riverbeds.

 Lastly, there is the standard custom of heading off to the pub (called the Eleventh End at all the Briers)  after, with the local custom of 'winner buy loser'. (My teams have been getting free drinks for years...) Which brings up another Durulz connection. The Brier, of course, was named after Macdonald's Brier Tobacco. Folks, it's obvious. Durulz curl!

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com