Re: Digest Number 1371

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_...>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:31:09 +1000

Jane sez:

>>I remember being a school-uniformed girl playing
>>hockey in the mud. The sport as I remember it was....
>>unladylike. Vicious, even. There were rules: the first
>>one was to take out the ref before you started taking
>>out the other team.
>>I'm sure Canadians, being nice civilised people, don't
>>play nasty uncouth games like that :)

Here in Australia, <Field> hockey is a boy's sport, and, when you think about, giving teenage boys big sticks and letting them loose in game where, if you whack the ball full pelt into your opponent's shins, *they* get a penalty, and *you* get the free hit, it's no wonder these days parents (and public liability insurers) would prefer their little charges to play soccer.

We've talked about how the ducks play the Canadian sport of curling, but I think the national sport of Sartar resembles the Irish sport of Hurling - about a different games as you could get from curling: think of a cross between <field> hockey and Australian Rules Football, but once described better as "full-contact golf".

Cheers,

MrMOB