The sporting life

From: ALISON PLACE <alison_place_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:51:38 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff remembers:
"A rather famous beer commercial features a pickup game of street hockey on Bay St. (Toronto's version of Wall Street), complete with folks waiting for the streetcar to go by."

The one that I liked even better (given my biases) was the parody of that done by 'This Hour has 22 Minutes', a Cdn political comedy show. They redid it as a curling game, with the house as concentric circles done by a street artist around a manhole cover, and brooms being grabbed from the local hardware store display stand, etc. I think that the stones were briefcases, but can't remember that for sure.

As an added aside about the Iroquois keenness on lacrosse, their war clubs weren't the usual baseball bat type. They were a solid ball attached to the inside curve of a sturdy short stick. Rather like a lacrosse stick with the ball and no net. Carved from all-in-one hardwood, which has to be a more difficult way to design it than just a big ol' stick.

But I'll go for lacrosse and hurley for Orlanthi, and buzkashi for baboons, happily.

I agree with John about the general distinctness of the male and female parts of baboon society. Though I would think that there was a bit more social contact than you seem to envision, John. I would also, given that I'm female, assume a little higher level of conflict, shall we say, between the females. That they consider themselves to be much more kindly and co-operative amongst themselves than the males I'll happily grant, but an outside observer might note more squabbling, pettiness and occasional deepseated grudges than the males get to hear about. And don't kid yourselves about a lack of dominance heirarchy! If Grams wants to be groomed, there'd better be a young female around to do it!

Co-operative games for female baboons - why not Keep-the-tuber-in-the-air? Like hackysack and volleyball combined. Easier for the underhand motion for which baboons are suited. When you're finished, you eat the ball. No carrying needed, fun and efficient.

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com