Re: Naked shield-push variants?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:05:18 -0000

> Although it now occurs to me that it could be an
> Ernaldan one? Defence, strength, resistance of enemies
> rather than taking the fight to them...?
> Which of the many HW/HQ aspects of Ernalda ended up
> with a Shield of Arran? Or is that just left to the
> assorted Gors these days?

Certainly the unity and cohesion, and the shield for defence, I agree. The more active 'pushing' aspect may need explaining...

Pressfield's Thermopylae novel 'Gates of Fire' has the Spartans use [and I read it several years back, so the exact context is slightly hazy] the same expression for 'push' in the shield wall as that for <ahem> 'f*&%'... i.e. symbolising 'to grind'.

New men one and all, them Spartans [and apparently devoid of any homosexual tendencies; they read more like Sharpe in the book!].

So for me, the pushing aspect aspect comes across as a masculine, Yelmie thing...