Re: Shield-push variants?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:47:24 GMT

In message <20030810061615.63374.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Jane=20Williams?= writes:

>But you don't have to be Sun Domers to play
>Shield-push, it's a pretty obvious game for any
>military unit that uses big shields and close
>formation.
>
>How about the Lunars? I'm sure there's a unit out
>there somewhere that does this. But I suspect they'd
>need some sort of mythic significance to the lack of
>armour.

Traditional Yelmites possibly. The original Shield-push game was played naked but those degenerate Sun Domers started wearing clothes.

>Would the standard Orlanti "shield wall" ever be
>organised enough for Shield Push to be a relevant
>game, or are they always looser formation?

I don't think a shield wall would tend to get involved in such tactics, they are basically a defensive formation with the intent of making charging attackers bounce off rather than get involved in a shoving match. In any case the shield wall is primarily a fyrd tactic and the fyrd has better things to do than play silly games. (The missus wants a cot for the new baby and I've got to get that done if I'm to get to the cuk fight next week.)

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/